Total Pageviews

Tuesday 16 February 2010

A change is as good as a rest



It has been a month since I wrote this blog, and the time seems to have passed in a haze - a haze of work, snow and more work. Since my recovery from the bug that swept through the home in which I work, it has been pretty much non stop. One of my colleagues has slipped a disc, she supposedly bent over at home to pick something up and her back just went - I suppose that can happen, so for the past three weeks it has been all hands on deck, and I have been doing more than twice my normal hours. My colleague has been signed off for another four weeks - starting as from Monday just gone (I have this week off, thank goodness), and I am not sure what I will do after next week, as this clashes with the exams that I have been booked to invigilate. I suppose I will have to be ruthless and work out who pays the most - I suspect that will be the nursing home (the hourly rate may be less, but they can offer me more and regular hours instead of an hour here and an hour there with large gaps in between). As long as I get reasonable time off in between that is all that matters.

I had been hoping to have been able to book my air ticket to Iceland during this week, but I will have to wait until I am back at work on Monday, as one of the other housekeepers wants the same dates that I do. We work different hours - she during the day and I mostly in the evenings, but I may be needed (provided again there are no exams) to cover her hours, so I shall have to discuss it with the boss. There will be still be tickets left, but I just wanted to get it out of the way, as it won't seem real until I have booked that ticket. I will book the rest - accommodation in the various places I plan to visit, buses, domestic air travel and so on in dribs and drabs so as to spread the cost. Most of the timetables are now available online, and the Internet makes it easy to book and plan such things. There will be one phone call I need to make - to a farmhouse where I hope to stay in Skaftafell National Park - it is in fact the only accommodation available for those without cars, apart from a tent that it, and I don't fancy camping. Been there, done that.

So, it has been a nice rest from work for a week, catching up with all those things that have been neglected - sorting out bank accounts, business accounts, cleaning the house and going to the gym. Coran and I are off to Stone Henge in a little while to stay overnight at the Travelodge. We hope to go to Avebury tomorrow, which is quite close by, apparently the National Trust have a very good vegetarian restaurant there - their only own, so that will be a treat (I just hope it isn't full of wheat and cheese). In typical style it is peeing down with rain, but we have waterproofs and walking boots and are intrepid souls, who won't let a bit of water put us off. Hopefully it will put off the coachloads of tourists, and it will be blissfully quiet. It is a shame it is just for the one night, but sometimes that is all you need. I am sure it will be a nice relaxing break, and you know what they say - a change is a good as a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment