Total Pageviews

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Bloody snow !


I am beginning to get really fed up now with all this snow, it seems that as soon as it goes the white stuff comes right back again. The village where I live, being higher up than the surrounding land, always gets the worst of the weather, which people from surrounding towns rejoice in, as they come here to sledge and in the most extreme weather which we have had these past two weeks, to ski. Yes you did read that right, snow skiing in south-eastern England.

For two weeks now I have been trying to get into Guildford (or any branch of Lush) to buy various items which I am beginning to get perilously low on. Lush always have a sale at this time of year, where you get items produced last year free of charge if you spend more than a certain amount of money, or once they have run out of these, other items free. This is a good offer which enables me to stock up for several months, and if I can't manage to get there before Sunday when the offer ends I will be seriously peed off. Not only have I lost money through being ill and of work (and today I have woken up with a throat infection so may soon be off work again), I can't get to take advantage of the sales either. It's not fair that once again those who had 2 weeks off over Christmas get to do all the things that I can't, when my job is so much more worthwhile than theirs. It seems that those who make the greatest contribution to society get the rawest deal. This is probably just me whinging though and going back into victim mode. We all need to do that once in a while ...

I have tried to see the positive in this snow, the idea that it brings families and communities together through being forced to help each other, but I have not seen that. One lady I know fell over outside the village shop (I did not see it) and told me that three cars went past before anyone stopped to help. Community spirit, what community spirit ?

I am probably just feeling fed up because I still feel unwell, and will no doubt get over it in due course. In the scheme of things I am really quite lucky, in that I have a cupboard fell stocked with food, hot water, heat and the company of the man I love. The fact that I am going stir crazy not being able to get out of the house and worried about how the hell I am going to work tomorrow night driving on a 3 inch layer of snow, with more expected tonight, is neither here not there. I will cross that bridge when I get to it - and pack an overnight bag in case !

No comments:

Post a Comment