Total Pageviews

Friday 8 January 2010

Be careful of what you wish for ...

The New Year for me at least has got off to a flying start, as for the last three days I have been laid low with a particularly virulent strain of what I strongly suspect to be Norovirus. It has been doing the rounds at work since about three days after Christmas, gradually working its way around the staff and residents alike, and the symptoms have not been nice. In my case, watery diarrhoea, stomach cramps, nausea and a distinct loss of appetite. What with that and the seven inches of snow that fell on Tuesday night, things could not be much worse.

This is a lesson for me in many ways to be very careful of what I wish for, since all over Christmas I kept saying that I needed a rest and to have more than one day off work, resentful of those that got two weeks while I had to work on Christmas Day. Then what happens, bam, I am unable to work at all, for four whole days it will be by the time I go back on Sunday. You have to wait you see until you have been free of symptoms for 48 hours. I have to be particularly careful in my job, working with the elderly and handling food.

If I feel like this, I can just imagine though how someone twice my age, who is not as fit as I am, must feel. The virus has left me quite literally on the floor, with very little energy to do anything at all. The aches and pains may have gone, but it will be a while before my body completely recovers. Worst of all has been the loss of appetite, where I just don't feel able to eat at all. For the last three days just about all I have eaten is some yogurt and a few fish cakes. I suppose it's one way to lose weight, but I rather do it through proper diet and exercise.

After three days of being cooped up in the house, I am then feeling decidedly claustrophobic. There is though nothing I can do, and I just have to let this thing run its course. In future I will be more careful though of what I wish for, as I might just get it !

No comments:

Post a Comment