Total Pageviews

Monday 17 August 2009

A week in the life of June


It is hard to believe that it is only a week (and two days) since I returned from Lundy - it seems like a lifetime ago. Nine days ago I had just left Ilfracombe and was somewhere around Combe Martin along the A399 heading for home. Today I am sat at home sitting at this computer and wondering where the last week has gone.

There is no typical week in my life, but if there was it would go something like this. Three mornings a week (usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday) I go to the gym where I do what feels like ten rounds with Mike Tyson - seriously, it tends to be around 10 minutes each of cycling, cross training, rowing and walking (with a few minutes running when I can muster the energy) in no particular order, followed by some weights and stretches. At least once a week, after our trip to the gym, Coran and I go out for lunch - usually to our favourite tea shop, where we have a delicious cheese and potato pie or sometimes an omelette.

On the remaining mornings I go food shopping and potter around the house. Sometimes on a Friday I accompany Coran to the local computer club where he works as a volunteer teaching local residents how to use these machines.

The afternoons are spent pottering around at home on the computer, keeping up to date with the news in publishing, visiting one or two forums and doing some writing, perhaps for the newsletter that I edit or for one of the three blogs that I maintain. I usually have music on in the background - my favourites being jazz and classical - but sometimes dance, it depends on my mood.

If the weather is good I may saunter up to the viewpoint for a cup of tea to sit in the sun or go for a walk. If not, I may watch something on television. As a woman of simple tastes I do not waste my time by visiting the shops, but every couple of months I will go into Guildford to visit Lush and stock up on toiletries and have a browse in Marks and Spencer.

I work as a catering assistant four nights a week from 5 to 7pm (each week day apart from Wednesday), and a housekeeper at the weekends (Saturday and Sunday) from 8am to 2pm. Sometimes after work at the weekends we will pop next door for a cup of tea and a chat, and sometimes I have phone calls to make for the newsletter. Other than that our social life revolves around the weekly Inner Journey group that we go to on a Wednesday night and the bi-weekly meditation group at our local church, every other Monday afternoon. The evenings tend to be spent again on the computer, watching television, or in the bath. On the warm summer evenings I sometimes go up to the viewpoint to listen to the birds and sit in silence, or occasionally to watch just to watch the stars.

I do not then lead a particularly exciting life packed with activities. Most of it is quite boring, and I suspect that I am not alone. Financial concerns are always there in the background - to live the life I would really like I need to be earning around twice what I do, but I do not want to go back to that 3D world of sod you Jack (June in my case), I'm alright, I have been there and done that and there are easier ways of earning a living (or not). At certain times of the year I am able to supplement my income with exam invigilating work, which earns me a little extra, but it is still not enough and sacrifices have to be made. It is though my choice, and I am grateful for the fact that I can afford (just about) not to have to work full time.

All in all, Coran and I live a pretty good life. We own our own home, have (some) money in the bank and manage our finances surprisingly well. There are a lot of people far worse off than us.

No comments:

Post a Comment