Total Pageviews

Friday 3 July 2009

A blessed relief

What a relief it was to wake up this morning to see mist and hear the patter of rain against the windows. Britain has seen temperatures soaring into the 90's these past few days (thank goodness for air conditioned cars), and with my job working in the kitchens of a nursing home, I have been really suffering in the heat.

Yesterday I had to do a 12 hour day from 7am to 7pm - the care workers have to do this all the time, but house keeping staff less often. I lost count of the bottles of water I drunk (I had got through 2 already by 9am), and by the time I finished my clothes were stuck to every inch of my body, with what felt like an inch layer of sweat. I was so tired that I went to bed at 8.45pm and slept right through until 7am. I hope and pray that the cooler weather lasts for a while and we do not see the return of such high temperatures again - at least not until I go to Ilfracombe.

No comments:

Post a Comment