Total Pageviews

Monday 3 January 2011

I don't make New Year Resolutions ...

I don't make New Years Resolutions - not because I won't keep them, but because I have nothing that I need to resolve! I am old enough and wise enough to know that we are not here to learn harsh lessons about life and about who we are, but rather, to remember what we long ago forgot - namely that we are aspects of God in all his (or perhaps her) glory.

Life is not about doing this and doing that, but rather, life is about being - being authentic to ourselves. The only thing that matters is to enjoy life, to strive to remember who we are, and to make a difference to the lives of those whom we serve. Most of the time, I like to think that I do a pretty good job of all three, although I have my moments ...

Seriously though, all that stuff that people trot out at this time of year about losing weight, getting fit, reading more books is well and good, but does it make you a better person - no. Reading more books might, especially if one of them happens to be mine ... Seriously, those things that people like to trot out may be important to them and no doubt have great signifiance, but they are not what we are here to do - they are merely the means that some at least use to achieve those ends, they also encourage us to live in the future rather than the present by concentrating the mind on some distant goal that we have to achieve before we can be happy. For me it is all about being happy now, focussing on what I already have rather than what is lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment